Subject: Re: [bug#61246] [PATCH v3 2/3] doc: Explain how to use local guix repositories.

From: André Batista <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:43:18 -0300

Hi Maxim,

sáb 18 fev 2023 às 12:35:32 (1676734532), [email-masked] enviou:
> (...)
> >> Perhaps you meant to use @command{git} in the above instead of
> >> @command{guix}, since it's specific to Git (and the configure snippet is
> >> for Git) ?
> >
> > Not really. It's guix itself and its subcommands which will fail in
> > this scenario, not git, even though it's because guix is using git
> > configuration through libgit2. To me it would be misleading to use
> > @command{git} there. I could come up with a more detailed
> > description, however, I don't think this would be the place to be
> > diving on a detailed discussion of guix internals. I'm up to
> > suggestions though if you think this patch would make people wonder
> > if it is a typo.

Just to be sure we are on the same page on this: have you followed on
#55399? AKA Guix has a choice to make here since we could just as
well decide to diverge from git and disable owner validation checks
entirely in Guix. On the one side, users wouldn't need to bother with
git configuration and the manual could do without this patch. On the
other, would this divergence have any security implications? As far
as I can see it doesn't, but I may not be seeing far enough and we
would be hard coding and burying this decision in Guix.

Also we wouldn't be exempting one chosen directory of these checks,
but disabling it altogether in Guix.

WDYT?