Subject: [bug#61243] Add WASM-4 fantasy console and prerequisites

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:11:27 -0500

Hi Christine,

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 7:53 AM Christine Lemmer-Webber
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This set of 4 patches adds WASM-4 (https://wasm4.org/), a fantasy
> > console that runs game "cartridges" compiled to WebAssembly.  It's a
> > fun way to learn about WebAssembly using a relatively simple system.
> > I've seen a WASM-4 game that was assembled using Racket, which I
> > thought was pretty neat.  It would be even cooler if someone did
> > something like that with Guile!
>
> Wouldn't it be cool indeed?  I wonder if we can see progress on this in
> Guile-land?  Maybe someone should take up the torch for the Guile and
> WASM story.

That sure would be cool!

Small correction: The thing I saw that used Racket to create
WebAssembly output doesn't actually run on WASM-4, it just kinda
looked like it did. Oops!  It's still very cool!
https://github.com/euhmeuh/wasm-adventure

> > Packaging this thing was not exactly straightforward due to dependency
> > bundling via git submodules, but I was able to unbundle everything.
>
> Impressive!  This doesn't look like it was easy to figure out.
>
> I reviewed all four patches.  Despite some custom stuff on most of
> these, they all look well commented and sensible.  I say push it!

Thanks for the review!  I found a typo in the description field of
cubeb that I've fixed, and I added some additional comments explaining
the minifb build customizations.  I pushed the patches with those
changes!

- Dave