Subject: Re: bug#61235: 30.0.50; tree-sit: `treesit-node-check' lacks a way to tell if a node belongs to a deleted parser

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 16:05:30 +0200

> From: Mickey Petersen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 13:19:57 +0000
> 
> > I'm asking why the Lisp program cannot track the parsers its uses and
> > deletes, and instead expects the core to do the janitor's job for it.
> 
> Because I have a proxy-like object of a real node because they're
> invalidated if a buffer is edited, even if the parcel of code I hold a
> node reference to is untouched. That's just how tree-sitter works, so
> I deal with it like this. That part works fine for I can of course use
> `treesit-node-check' to determine if it's outdated and thus needs
> refreshing (or not.)
> 
> The problems begin when the parser is also, for one reason or another,
> destroyed.

But it is only destroyed if your program calls treesit-parser-delete,
no?

Anyway, I'm okay with exposing treesit_check_parser to Lisp, if you
really insist.  But please be sure you want to insist, because I'm not
really convinced.