Subject: Re: [bug#61214] [PATCH guix-artwork v3] website: posts: Add Dissecting Guix, Part 2: The Store Monad.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:08:33 +0100

Hi Chris,

On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 at 10:47, Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'd say that Guile is a strongly typed language. I'm also not sure what
> the point about compensating for something lacking in Guile means.

>From my understanding, “strongly typed” is poorly defined and there is
no strong consensus.  The Guile compiler accepts this,

    (define (bang) (+ 1 "0"))

and typed language folks say it should not be possible for a decent
compiler supporting “strongly typed” language.

>From my point of view, it is better to speak about dynamically typed and
statically typed where definition is clearer.

About the remark about “compensating“, I guess the point is that using
language with a powerful type system, this monad story is somehow
included in the type system machinery; for instance Haskell.  Since
Guile does not have such type system – but instead it has macros ;-) –
then the monad story needs an implementation for its own.

(Aside, is monad another way to see macro? [1] :-))

Cheers,
simon

1: <http://kawagner.blogspot.com/2007/02/understanding-monads-for-real.html>