Subject: bug#61210: 28.2; Request to modify code which can accidentally overwrite AUCTeX function

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 17:50:37 -0400

>>>>>> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>> From skimming this bug report, it seems like all the issues were
>> resolved here?  Or is there anything left to do?
> As a longer term goal, it would be ideal to remove the current autoloads
> in my opinion. However, if it is considered difficult to do so for some
> reason (e.g. keeping backward compatibility), I don't mind much.

These autoloads are currently used in the case where a file says
`mode: LaTeX` to provide a fallback that redirect to `latex-mode`.

We currently don't have any other way to provide such a fallback.

Maybe the better long term strategy is to encourage users to use
`mode: latex` instead (e.g. by emitting warnings, or highlighting such
`mode:` settings), i.e. to use the mode as a specification of the
file type *without* enforcing a particular preference of major mode and
then rely on the user's `major-mode-remap-alist` to choose between
`latex-mode` and `LaTeX-mode` (or any other mode the user may fancy to
edit such files).

        Stefan