Subject: bug#61203: guix Update failed

From: Volker Edelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 21:42:54 +0100

Dear GUIX maintainers,

after installing guix I did not immediately start using it. I want to
start using it as my main development environment this week.
After installing guix on the root partition several weeks ago, I have
moved /gnu to a separate partition last week. I also moved the files
from /var/guix
to /gnu/guix and created a symlink.

volker[518]~$ df -k
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
dev              6111868        0   6111868   0% /dev
/dev/sda8       96173192 29931924  61309800  33% /                   #
Artix running
...
/dev/sda6      160158792 71621680  80345172  48% /opt
/dev/sda7      192415336 39003436 143564944  22% /gnu
/dev/sda9       96173192 51000212  40241512  56% /mnt/Devuan
/dev/sda10      96173192  5167096  86074628   6% /mnt/void
tmpfs            1223760       48   1223712   1% /run/user/1000

volker[519]~$ ls /gnu
20230130_store.tar  guix  lost+found  store

volker[532]~$ ls -l /var/guix
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 30. Jan 12:19 /var/guix -> /gnu/guix

This is an experiment to find out if it is possible to share the same
GUIX installation across multiple host OS - in my case Devuan, Artix and
void-linux.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Volker

------------------

Bug Trace

volker[517]~$ sudo -i guix pull
[sudo] password for volker:
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining
`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to a3b57e5 (31,161 new
commits)...
Building from this channel:
   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git    a3b57e5
substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or
`glibc-locales' package and
substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
substitute:
substitute:      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
substitute:
substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more
info.
substitute:
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/bn39wa2yyqizcpfzgp8kbcgkjqax1jbx-module-import.drv...
building /gnu/store/nhifkbf5wa79y2n0f6la1zm4c67ls1j5-module-import.drv...
building
/gnu/store/gq6jzqwzssfxmfcg84zarabd0cpgdzzw-module-import-compiled.drv...
building
/gnu/store/bvv3vnd69ckh6z9w3hc40va5xq6x5xkx-module-import-compiled.drv...
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

building
/gnu/store/h086xnnyy39d0qypm1p2f52mskks9ql5-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/store.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/store.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/store.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/store.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build/utils.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build/utils.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build/utils.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build/utils.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/colors.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/colors.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/colors.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/colors.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/i18n.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/i18n.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/i18n.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/i18n.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/serialization.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/serialization.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/serialization.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/serialization.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/monads.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/monads.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/monads.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/monads.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/base16.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/base16.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/base16.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/base16.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/gexp.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/gexp.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/gexp.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/gexp.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/grafts.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/grafts.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/grafts.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/grafts.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build-system.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build-system.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build-system.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build-system.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/search-paths.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/search-paths.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/search-paths.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/search-paths.go
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... -Backtrace:
           19 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f5b940 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f5b8a0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
     159:9 18 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820> #<procedure
7f14a5f48020 at ice-9/eval.scm:333:13 (?> ?) ?))
\    619:8 17 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>)
#<store-connection 256.99 7f148f372230> #<proced?> ?) ?))
    626:19 16 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>)
#<store-connection 256.99 7f148f372230> #<proced?> ?) ?))
In unknown file:
           15 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f5b780 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f5b760 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
     152:2 14 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    293:34 13 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>
#<variable 7f14a7c88160 va?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
     152:2 12 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     718:2 11 (call-with-prompt ("build handler") #<procedure
7f14a5f85d40 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()> #<procedure 7?>)
     152:2 10 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     152:2  9 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     152:2  8 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In unknown file:
            7 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f88860 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f887e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
            6 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f88720 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f886e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    191:27  5 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820> #<procedure
7f14a5ff7ee0 at ice-9/eval.scm:333:13 (a)>) ?))
    196:35  4 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>
#<procedure 7f14a5f900e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:330?> ?) ?) ?))
    196:35  3 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix gexp) 7f14ac2b9aa0>
#<<local-file> file: "build/utils.scm" absolute: #<pro?> ?)))
    293:34  2 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guix gexp) 7f14ac2b9aa0>)
#<<local-file> file: "build/u?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In unknown file:
            1 (force #<promise #<procedure 7f14a7e0c500 at
ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>>)
In ./guix/ui.scm:
     556:4  0 (_ system-error "canonicalize-path" _ _ _)

./guix/ui.scm:556:4: In procedure canonicalize-path: No such file or
directory: "build/utils.scm"
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/7p0mra0djxqpirv5nrw55nzhjppcpzbm-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"a3b57e57e68a1f4848bf8bacd797c5d989f56de2"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "1.3.0"; pull-version: 1).