Subject: bug#61203: closed (Re: bug#61203: guix Update failed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 20:50:01 +0000

Your bug report

#61203: guix Update failed

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
61203: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61203
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#61203: guix Update failed
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Volker Edelmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 15:49:20 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Volker,

Volker Edelmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear Maxim,
>
> it is just one machine. On boot time, I decide which OS to run.

I see.  I think this could technically work, as long as you always
ensure the same /gnu/store and the same /var/guix are exposed to each
machine (perhaps via bind mounts), so that the database and the store
content are always in sync.  I fear that's a not supported use case
though and would probably be tricky, so I'm closing the issue.  Feel
free to report of things you've tried and any success or encountered
problems, though!

Also, please make sure to 'wide-reply' when using the lists, to keep the
thread public so that everybody can see the discussion.  I've re-added
the bug email in CC ([email-masked]).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: guix Update failed
From: Volker Edelmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 21:42:54 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear GUIX maintainers,

after installing guix I did not immediately start using it. I want to
start using it as my main development environment this week.
After installing guix on the root partition several weeks ago, I have
moved /gnu to a separate partition last week. I also moved the files
from /var/guix
to /gnu/guix and created a symlink.

volker[518]~$ df -k
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
dev              6111868        0   6111868   0% /dev
/dev/sda8       96173192 29931924  61309800  33% /                   #
Artix running
...
/dev/sda6      160158792 71621680  80345172  48% /opt
/dev/sda7      192415336 39003436 143564944  22% /gnu
/dev/sda9       96173192 51000212  40241512  56% /mnt/Devuan
/dev/sda10      96173192  5167096  86074628   6% /mnt/void
tmpfs            1223760       48   1223712   1% /run/user/1000

volker[519]~$ ls /gnu
20230130_store.tar  guix  lost+found  store

volker[532]~$ ls -l /var/guix
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 30. Jan 12:19 /var/guix -> /gnu/guix

This is an experiment to find out if it is possible to share the same
GUIX installation across multiple host OS - in my case Devuan, Artix and
void-linux.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Volker

------------------

Bug Trace

volker[517]~$ sudo -i guix pull
[sudo] password for volker:
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining
`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to a3b57e5 (31,161 new
commits)...
Building from this channel:
   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git    a3b57e5
substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or
`glibc-locales' package and
substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
substitute:
substitute:      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
substitute:
substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more
info.
substitute:
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/bn39wa2yyqizcpfzgp8kbcgkjqax1jbx-module-import.drv...
building /gnu/store/nhifkbf5wa79y2n0f6la1zm4c67ls1j5-module-import.drv...
building
/gnu/store/gq6jzqwzssfxmfcg84zarabd0cpgdzzw-module-import-compiled.drv...
building
/gnu/store/bvv3vnd69ckh6z9w3hc40va5xq6x5xkx-module-import-compiled.drv...
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and
defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

      guix install glibc-utf8-locales
      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

building
/gnu/store/h086xnnyy39d0qypm1p2f52mskks9ql5-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/store.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/store.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/store.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/store.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build/utils.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build/utils.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build/utils.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build/utils.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/colors.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/colors.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/colors.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/colors.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/i18n.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/i18n.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/i18n.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/i18n.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/serialization.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/serialization.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/serialization.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/serialization.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/monads.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/monads.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/monads.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/monads.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/base16.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/base16.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/base16.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/base16.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/gexp.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/gexp.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/gexp.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/gexp.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/grafts.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/grafts.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/grafts.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/grafts.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build-system.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build-system.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/build-system.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/build-system.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/search-paths.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/search-paths.go
;;; note: source file
/gnu/store/34xwi7imnqy0acabsawchm7s10bvrvz2-guix-a3b57e5/guix/search-paths.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/gnu/store/cka2ksz71ly3z9vqk2bhxyvcsh0q3vyz-module-import-compiled/guix/search-paths.go
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... -Backtrace:
           19 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f5b940 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f5b8a0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
     159:9 18 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820> #<procedure
7f14a5f48020 at ice-9/eval.scm:333:13 (?> ?) ?))
\    619:8 17 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>)
#<store-connection 256.99 7f148f372230> #<proced?> ?) ?))
    626:19 16 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>)
#<store-connection 256.99 7f148f372230> #<proced?> ?) ?))
In unknown file:
           15 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f5b780 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f5b760 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
     152:2 14 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    293:34 13 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>
#<variable 7f14a7c88160 va?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
     152:2 12 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     718:2 11 (call-with-prompt ("build handler") #<procedure
7f14a5f85d40 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()> #<procedure 7?>)
     152:2 10 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     152:2  9 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
     152:2  8 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In unknown file:
            7 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f88860 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f887e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
            6 (_ #<procedure 7f14a5f88720 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>
#<procedure 7f14a5f886e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:33?> ?)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    191:27  5 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820> #<procedure
7f14a5ff7ee0 at ice-9/eval.scm:333:13 (a)>) ?))
    196:35  4 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guix store) 7f14ad998820>
#<procedure 7f14a5f900e0 at ice-9/eval.scm:330?> ?) ?) ?))
    196:35  3 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix gexp) 7f14ac2b9aa0>
#<<local-file> file: "build/utils.scm" absolute: #<pro?> ?)))
    293:34  2 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guix gexp) 7f14ac2b9aa0>)
#<<local-file> file: "build/u?> ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In unknown file:
            1 (force #<promise #<procedure 7f14a7e0c500 at
ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()>>)
In ./guix/ui.scm:
     556:4  0 (_ system-error "canonicalize-path" _ _ _)

./guix/ui.scm:556:4: In procedure canonicalize-path: No such file or
directory: "build/utils.scm"
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/7p0mra0djxqpirv5nrw55nzhjppcpzbm-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"a3b57e57e68a1f4848bf8bacd797c5d989f56de2"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "1.3.0"; pull-version: 1).