Subject: Re: bug#61190: 28.2; ispell personal dictionary location for hunspell engine

From: O G <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 00:58:56 -0500

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 10:35 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [Please use Reply All to reply, to keep the bug tracker CC'ed.]
>
> > > This is arguably a bug in Hunspell, but a workaround is to create an
> > > empty file at the location where you want the personal dictionary to
> > > be, and then restart the speller.
>
> > This time around I tested by setting the ispell-local-dictionary
> variable, and then the ispell-cmd-args variable,
> > by using in each instance the escaped backslash form of the absolute
> file path
> > (C:\\Users\xxxx\.hunspell_en_US), which I created beforehand as an empty
> file.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the above is the literal value you tried, it is again incorrect:
> each backslash should be doubled.  If you did double them all, or used

forward slashes,

Indeed I had doubled them in my emacs init file and used backslashes ...
that was a typo above.

> then there's a different bug in your version of
> Hunspell; it worked for me once I understood the problem.
>
> Did you veryfy that Hunspell is invoked by Emacs with the correct -p
> switch?
>

I just checked process explorer and obtained the following command line
args:

c:\msys64\mingw64\bin\hunspell.exe -a "" -d en_US -i UTF-8

This did not change regardless of what string I used for ispell-cmd-args in
my emacs init file.  I tried first "-p C:\\Users\\xxxx\\.hunspell_en_US,"
under the assumption that ispell would append this to the existing default
set of cmd args, after creating an empty .hunspell_en_US file in my home
directory, and then tried setting it to

"-d en_US -i UTF-8 -p C:\\Users\\xxxx\\.hunspell_en_US"

again to no avail.