Subject: Re: bug#61183: 29.0.60; Add describe-repeat-maps to the manual

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:45:25 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:36:28 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
    >> Its output is easy to understand for anyone who uses this feature
    >> and just wants to check what commands are already supported.

    Eli> That's not the correct criterion for judging documentation, definitely
    Eli> not when the manual is concerned.  The manual should be clear enough
    Eli> to explain the command's effect even to someone who reads about
    Eli> repeated commands for the first time.

    Eli> And even if you only consider experienced users, how can a user
    Eli> understand that these commands support repeating?  Which part(s) of
    Eli> that buffer say that in terns that are clear enough?  A naïve reader
    Eli> of the buffer will just see a list of commands and their bindings,
    Eli> preceded by a sentence whose intent is hard to understand without some
    Eli> background in Emacs keymaps.

How about putting something like

If `repeat-mode' is enabled, these keymaps determine which single key 
can be used to repeat a command invoked via a full key sequence.

in the buffer produced by `descripe-repeat-maps'?

Robert
--