Subject: Re: bug#61173: Wireguard and NF Tables service broken on aarch64

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 08:36:41 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Right now wireguard and nftable services are broken on the aarch64
> kernel due to their respective kernel config parameters not being
> added as modules or compiled into the kernel. I'm hesitant to call
> this a bug but it does mean wireguard and nftables are unavailable. A
> good chunk of iptables operations are missing as well. I don't have
> much experience configuring a kernel but perhaps there's a way to
> insure feature parity between the x86_64 and aarch64 kernels?

I ran into this issue myself when using linux-libre-arm64-generic so
it's still around. It can cause boot problems too depending on what
exactly is missing.

qemu-binfmt-service-type adds a file-system dependency on
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc, and requires the kernel to have
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC set. The 6.8-arm64.conf file does have
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m, but in the compiled kernel that option is unset.
Ergo the file-system doesn't exist and Shepherd fails to finish
initializing file systems.

Seeing as how certain config changes are made to
linux-libre-arm64-generic to improve device compatibility, I hope the
differences can be minimized between the "vanilla" linux-libre and
customized linux-libre-arm64-generic outside of device compatibility
changes to reduce surprises like this.

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.