Subject: bug#6116: closed (Re: bug#6116: Emacs 23 is sluggish with Consolas font)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6116: Emacs 23 is sluggish with Consolas font

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6116: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6116
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6116: Emacs 23 is sluggish with Consolas font
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Christoph <[email-masked]>,Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>, James Cloos <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 23:53:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Christoph <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I decreased the Consolas font-size to 9 (from 11) and maximized
>> vertically (72x80). Now, I can see it being stuck once in a while. It 
>> recovers eventually but there are a couple of seconds where it seems
>> nothing happens. After that it recenters and scrolls on until it
>> happens again.
>
> Are you still seeing these problems in modern versions of Emacs?

More information was requested, but none was given within 25 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.

If this is still an issue, please reply to this email (use "Reply to
all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: Emacs 23 is sluggish with Consolas font
From: Vegard Øye <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 20:21:41 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-07-30 on Windows XP.
My font of choice is Consolas, which was originally released with
Windows Vista, but can be downloaded from the URL below.

Since I moved from 22.3 to 23.1, Emacs has become noticeably slower,
particularly when scrolling. The problems vanish when I select any
other font than Consolas.

WITHOUT CONSOLAS: My .emacs consists of the following two lines.

        (setq scroll-step 1)
        ;; (set-frame-font "Consolas-11")

When I start up Emacs, the font is Courier New. I open the tutorial
with C-h t and hold down C-n until the cursor reaches the bottom of
the screen. When it does, the text scrolls smoothly.

WITH CONSOLAS: I uncomment the second line and start Emacs anew.

        (setq scroll-step 1)
        (set-frame-font "Consolas-11")

Now C-n doesn't scroll at all. Instead, the cursor is repeatedly
recentered each time it reaches the bottom of the screen.

If display-intensive packages like hl-line-mode and show-paren-mode
are loaded as well, Emacs slows to a crawl.

WITH OTHER FONTS: No problems with Lucida Console!

        (setq scroll-step 1)
        (set-frame-font "Lucida Console-11")

This is just as responsive as the default of Courier New.

DOWNLOAD: Consolas is included with Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Otherwise, an .exe installer is available from the address below.
If this is unpractical, mail me and we'll figure out something.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3

Vegard 		 	   		  
_________________________________________________________________
Windows 7: Du får hjelp til gjøre mer. Utforsk Windows 7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-7