Subject: Re: bug#6116: Emacs 23 is sluggish with Consolas font

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 03:32:57 -0400

>>>>> "C" == Christoph  <[email-masked]> writes:

C> I followed the recipe above and can confirm the same behavior for Emacs
C> 24.0.50 (r100832) on Windows 7.

C> Maybe the performance difference is due to Consolas being optimized for
C> ClearType, whereas the regular Courier New is not?

It is more likely to do with each fonts' set of OpenType features.
Consolas almost certainly has significantly better OpenType support
than the much older versions of Courier New MS ships.

Perhaps something involving localized forms?

You also may have some system-level feature enabled, perhaps related to
locale, i18n or the like which resutls in slower itf processing?  (That
or something like that might explain why Óscar was unable to duplicate.)

I only have thought, no solutions, but I've read numerous complaints
elsewhere over the recent years which tracked down to inefficient
implementations of OpenType, and that seems to be the most significant
difference between Courier New and Consolas.

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6