Subject: bug#61155: closed (Re: bug#61155: 29.0.60; build failures tree sitter)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#61155: 29.0.60; build failures tree sitter

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
61155: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61155
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#61155: 29.0.60; build failures tree sitter
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: John <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:36:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:00:07 +0000
> From: John <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> For the last couple of days I have been unable to build emacs-29
> branch; error messages  are
> 
> In toplevel form:
> cedet/semantic/wisent/python.el:30:2: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void: treesit-parser-list
> make[3]: *** [Makefile:332: cedet/semantic/wisent/python.elc] Error 1"
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:366: compile-main] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:533: lisp] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'

Sorry, should be fixed now.

> I do not have any tree-sitter code.  "make bootstrap" appears to work
> but every day it takes too much time.  I read tat tree-sitter as not
> necessary but this seems to contradict

As long as "make bootstrap" fixes the build, everything is okay, and
what you see is just an inevitable result of development when some
"hot" features that are optional see a lot of changes.  We try to
minimize these problems, but we don't always succeed.

However, this one was a real problem which bootstrap is unable to
fix.  It should be fixed now.

Subject: 29.0.60; build failures tree sitter
From: John <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:00:07 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For the last couple of days I have been unable to build emacs-29
branch; error messages  are

In toplevel form:
cedet/semantic/wisent/python.el:30:2: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void: treesit-parser-list
make[3]: *** [Makefile:332: cedet/semantic/wisent/python.elc] Error 1"
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:366: compile-main] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:533: lisp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
***
*** "make all" failed with exit status 2.
***
*** You could try to:
*** - run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
*** - run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
***   to further investigate the problem
***
make[1]: *** [Makefile:414: advice-on-failure] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'

I do not have any tree-sitter code.  "make bootstrap" appears to work
but every day it takes too much time.  I read tat tree-sitter as not
necessary but this seems to contradict

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-01-29 built on xenakis
Repository revision: 9058601308db4892fbc3e599b83fe4326fef9886
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.4

Configured using:
 'configure --without-gnutls'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow flyspell mailalias mailcrypt mail-extr comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring ispell emacsbug message yank-media dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie rx generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core json map byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls puny dig
mailcap mml-sec password-cache epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev easy-mmode nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search cl-seq time-date range gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail derived rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils delsel cus-load image-file image-converter crypt
crypt++ crypt+pgp-pub subr-x cl-macs inline gv pcase cl-loaddefs
cl-lib view mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
cal-julian lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays
holiday-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs time rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray
oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 283544 24009)
 (symbols 48 13303 0)
 (strings 32 31969 1914)
 (string-bytes 1 1087000)
 (vectors 16 12559)
 (vector-slots 8 238338 10350)
 (floats 8 531 706)
 (intervals 56 507 0)
 (buffers 976 12))

==John ffitch