Subject: bug#61121: Cannot import IJulia in Julia

From: Theodore Ehrenborg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 13:45:00 +0000

Hi Guix,

I would like to run a Jupyter notebook using Julia, so I need to install
the IJulia backend:

guix install julia
julia # Enter julia REPL
] # To go into the julia pkg REPL
add IJulia
# Now type backspace to go to julia REPL
using IJulia

This produces the error:

[ Info: Precompiling IJulia [7073ff75-c697-5162-941a-fcdaad2a7d2a]
ERROR: LoadError: InitError: SystemError: opening file
"/gnu/store/npj8z0g9nx14wl22yphqfs2c5w4qk5jk-julia-1.8.3/share/julia/cert.pem":
No such file or directory

The full error message is here: https://pastebin.com/qC8yyHXT

I saw a very similar bug on Gentoo:

Without this file (which can be a symbolic link to
`/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt`) many Julia 1.8.3 packages, e.g.
`HTTP`, do not work.
This is what happens:

julia> import HTTP
[ Info: Precompiling HTTP [cd3eb016-35fb-5094-929b-558a96fad6f3]
ERROR: LoadError: InitError: SystemError: opening file
"/usr/share/julia/cert.pem":

(https://bugs.gentoo.org/888978)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Theodore Ehrenborg