Subject: bug#61107: 29.0.60; directory creation regression due to eglot and/or project

From: Eric Gillespie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 18:45:06 -0600

(This seems to be a project bug, not eglot, but I've never used
proejct directly, only through eglot.  It's easy enough to trigger).

Steps to reproduce:
1. emacs -Q --eval "(require 'eglot)"
2. C-x C-f ../directory-that-does-not-exist/new-file.c

Expected:
- new-file.c buffer in c-mode appears
- M-x make-directory RET RET creates the missing directory

Actual:
- current buffer is unchanged rather than switching to new-file.c
- M-x make-directory offers to create CURRENT directory
  (likely nothing but the natural effectd of the buffer not switching)
- C-x b new-file.c RET shows the new-file.c buffer in fundamental-mode

Bisect suggests the bug was introduced in
commit 785fa801596ad7bb9f838cac865f00de29e253d1.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0) of 2023-01-27 built on dogato
Repository revision: 00629c039643a0471143205c70e8a078fc3a9d86
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.4

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/home/epg/.local --disable-silent-rules
 --without-libsystemd --without-xft --without-m17n-flt
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gpm --without-dbus
 --without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-compress-install
 --without-tree-sitter --with-x CC=gcc-11'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF WEBP
X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36774 8133)
 (symbols 48 5119 0)
 (strings 32 13910 1590)
 (string-bytes 1 383462)
 (vectors 16 9328)
 (vector-slots 8 148121 11780)
 (floats 8 23 25)
 (intervals 56 249 0)
 (buffers 976 10))