Subject: bug#61104: 29.0.60; typescript-ts-mode does not provide compilation-mode support

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 21:14:30 +0100

When compiling a TypeScript project using tsc (or other tooling) from Emacs,
compilation errors and warnings are not highlighted by compilation-mode.

Consider the following output:

src/resources/document.ts:140:22 - error TS2362: The left-hand side of 
an arithmetic operation must be of type 'any', 'number', 'bigint' or an 
enum type.

140       return `File-${new Date() * 1}${ext}`;
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

This output should cause compilation-mode to highlight the error and 
provide code-navigation.

I know we explicitly added support for this to typescript.el back in the 
days, but I'm not
sure what the "right" thing to do is now that typescrip-ts-mode is a 
first class Emacs citizen.

Should we add compilation-mode patterns directly to the major-mode, or 
should we provide
patches to compile.el instead?

Does anyone have any strong opinion or guidance here?

--
Jostein

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2023-01-26 built on thinkpad-t14s
Repository revision: f8c95d1a7681e861fc22d2a040cda0ddfe23eff4
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201007
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: JSON

Minor modes in effect:
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   electric-pair-mode: t
   highlight-symbol-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   global-nlinum-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230107.1528/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug help-fns radix-tree cl-print
json-ts-mode dired-aux textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnutls network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth goto-addr misearch multi-isearch flyspell ispell
magit-extras magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section crm helm-command
helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
disp-table bug-reference winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf dbus face-remap executable markdown-mode
color add-log elec-pair typescript-ts-mode js c-ts-common cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs treesit vc-svn ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef
elisp-slime-nav paredit highlight-symbol flycheck editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company eglot external-completion array
jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace flymake-proc flymake warnings
which-func hideshow eww url-queue thingatpt shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils
range mm-util mail-prsvr helm-imenu helm-mode helm-misc helm-files
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg
image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit files-x tramp-compat
shell parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async pcase imenu ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
noutline outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec delsel
autorevert filenotify yasnippet nlinum linum ido-yes-or-no advice ido
edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode xref project
server hl-line pixel-scroll cua-base compile-eslint compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
rx f f-shortdoc s dash compat dracula-theme cl-extra help-mode
use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf yasnippet-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads magit-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads powershell-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads paredit-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
cargo-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads helm-autoloads popup-autoloads
queue-autoloads nlinum-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads company-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bui-autoloads transient-autoloads
ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
compat-autoloads epl-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads expand-region-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads s-autoloads info
editorconfig-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 903185 104000)
  (symbols 48 46499 0)
  (strings 32 231885 9884)
  (string-bytes 1 6411082)
  (vectors 16 124883)
  (vector-slots 8 2338056 282804)
  (floats 8 984 1046)
  (intervals 56 17029 3032)
  (buffers 984 62))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>