Subject: Re: bug#6110: shred suggestion

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:37:40 -0600

retitle 6110 shred: Please add GUI interface
severity 6110 wishlist
tags 6110 + wontfix
thanks

J wrote:
> I'm a newbie but, Please can you make a GUI for this
> program. Shredding and such are risky business should a typo have
> you destroy the wrong partition... Can this be added to Nautilus
> like Wipe can? Can it be added to do free space as well as files? Or
> maybe even entire partition?

The coreutils isn't a GUI based set of utilities.  It is also
installed on every GNU system.  Adding a dependency upon a large and
complex graphical library would be in conflict with those needs.
Therefore it isn't the right place to add one.

But as you suggested Nautilus may be able to add this functionality to
their interface.  They could call 'shred' on the files you select.  It
is probably something that you could add for yourself as an extension.

  http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus

You might want to suggest this to them.

Bob