Subject: 30.0.50; y-or-n-p clobbers match data

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 23:05:10 -0500

I find in some of my personal code that calls to y-or-n-p
clobber the match data.  That code worked ok when I first wrote it,
and for several years after that.  Putting (save-match-data...)
around the call to y-or-n-p seems to fix it.

Did some recent change cause y-or-n-p to do searches
and not save the match data?

I will work up a test case for you if necessary, but that
will be a pain.  I hope with this info that work can be avoided.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-28 built on freetop
Repository revision: efc44727daaee4d3f9aeb19864074472e99b296a
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0)

Configured using:
 'configure x86_64-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS--O0 -g'
 --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cus-start cus-load compare-w warnings icons shortdoc
log-edit add-log vc smerge-mode whitespace diff vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher bug-reference sh-script rx executable jka-compr rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok parse-time iso8601
vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util mhtml-mode css-mode smie
eww xdg url-queue mm-url gnus nnheader range wid-edit color js treesit
imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu mule-util
display-line-numbers novice cl-extra edmacro kmacro format-spec
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace find-func rect quail
help-mode ispell rmailkwd dabbrev misearch multi-isearch epa-mail
shell pcomplete thingatpt files-x grep compile comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring rmailout textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg xml dom mailalias qp rmailmm message sendmail yank-media
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs term/linux view derived disp-table advice rmailsum
rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 870629 121082)
 (symbols 48 20781 23)
 (strings 32 109387 13559)
 (string-bytes 1 2505004)
 (vectors 16 70750)
 (vector-slots 8 1692165 149404)
 (floats 8 248 410)
 (intervals 56 99582 2823)
 (buffers 976 110))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)