Subject: bug#61062: 29.0.60; Split Outline Mode node to Outline Minor Mode node

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:56:52 +0200

>> Pushed, but not yet closed.  I could try to document
>> outline-minor-mode-highlight as well since its counterpart
>> outline-minor-mode-cycle was already added to the manual.
>
> It sounds like this is a problematic option, whose use could produce
> unwanted results.  Are you sure it is a good idea to document it in
> the manual?

I agree that it's not suitable for the manual.

Another question that I'm not sure about is whether it makes sense to
mention all outline-minor-mode supported modes in etc/NEWS?  I mean
that we prepared outline-minor-mode related settings in some modes,
but not enabled outline-minor-mode in these modes.

For example, we set such values as outline-search-function,
outline-level, outline-minor-mode-use-buttons, etc.
in apropos-mode and xref.  So the users could easily enable
outline-minor-mode in these modes, and it will work
without additional customization.

Does it make sense to list these modes in etc/NEWS, so users will know
where they can enable outline-minor-mode?  Probably support for
apropos-mode could be mentioned under the section Help mode,
and outline-minor-mode for xref under the section Xref?

BTW, it looks like more links could be added to the manual:

diff --git a/doc/emacs/text.texi b/doc/emacs/text.texi
index 83d5869ee64..6a943c775b2 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/text.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/text.texi
@@ -1017,14 +1017,16 @@ Outline Minor Mode
 the buffer text, so @key{RET} on the button will also toggle display
 of the section, like a mouse click does.  If the value is
 @code{in-margins}, Outline minor mode will use the window margins to
-indicate that a section is hidden.
+indicate that a section is hidden.  The buttons are customizable as icons
+(@pxref{Icons}).
 
 @vindex outline-minor-mode-cycle
   If the @code{outline-minor-mode-cycle} user option is
-non-@code{nil}, the @kbd{TAB} and @kbd{S-@key{TAB}} keys are enabled on the
-outline heading lines.  @kbd{TAB} cycles hiding, showing the
-sub-heading, and showing all for the current section.  @kbd{S-@key{TAB}}
-does the same for the entire buffer.
+non-@code{nil}, the @kbd{TAB} and @kbd{S-@key{TAB}} keys that cycle
+the visibility are enabled on the outline heading lines.  @kbd{TAB}
+cycles hiding, showing the sub-heading, and showing all for the
+current section.  @kbd{S-@key{TAB}} does the same for the entire
+buffer (@pxref{Outline Visibility, outline-cycle}).
 
 @node Outline Format
 @subsection Format of Outlines