Subject: bug#61024: 29.0.60; [PATCH] Eshell errors out when trying to redirect output of a remote process

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:47:03 -0800

On 1/23/2023 7:50 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Pipe processes are always tricky for Tramp. I *believe* redirecting
> stdout and stderr to different buffers shall work, see "test6" of
> tramp-test30-make-process. But I remember also that this was painful to
> implement and test.

Yeah, I took a look at the Tramp code and it's pretty tricky. I'll see 
if I can come up with something for Emacs 30 though (maybe we could 
update the 'make-process' API to make this easier for Tramp?).

I'll merge this simple fix to Emacs 29 shortly then.

>>> I'm actually surprised no one has filed a bug on this already.
>>
>> Maybe it tells us how many people use this combination?
> 
> So do we want to reopen this can of worms, and see what happens with
> Tramp? But perhaps it is a problem in Eshell, which tries to create its
> own pipe process?

I'd certainly expect to see bug reports if this had shipped as part of a 
final Emacs release, but I think it does say that not many people use 
Tramp + Eshell on development builds. (Which, if anything, is mostly a 
sign to me that I need to be extra-careful when testing combinations of 
features like this, since people might not report bugs until after the 
release.)