Subject: Re: bug#60996: 29.0.60; Native compile fails to remove temp file for trampoline

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 23:49:04 +0000

On Wed 25 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:32:35 +0000
>> 
>> On Tue 24 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> 
>> >> There is a direct call to delete-file in comp--native-compile, but is
>> >> that the call which fails?  And if so, why does it fail?  Which code
>> >> created the .eln file that comp--native-compile tries to delete?
>> 
>> >From memory I think that involved compiling a trampoline, and
>> comp-spill-lap calling one of the comp-spill-lap methods, which was
>> probably
>>   (cl-defmethod comp-spill-lap-function ((form list))
>> 
>> I cannot reproduce this any longer as I have updated various software,
>> so this bug can probably be closed (and reopened later if the problem
>> becomes visible again).
>
> Before we close this, I suggest that you try reproducing again, after
> removing the *.eln files from your eln-cache.  Basically, as more and
> more *.eln files are produced and deposited there, the lower the
> probability of seeing any problems with native compilation, since
> Emacs stops compiling stuff because it already has what it needs.

I tried various combinations of cleaning the .eln cache, bootstrap from
a clean tree etc, and leaving or removing trampoline .eln files from
%TEMP% and did not get a reproducibe effect.
>
> (But if you already tried that and still failed, then OK, let's close
> this issue.)

I also tried running with anti-virus disabled (in case that affected
filesystem activity or timing) without any change.

Please close this, and we can start again if the problem reappears.

    AndyM