Subject: bug#60996: 29.0.60; Native compile fails to remove temp file for trampoline

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 13:58:16 +0200

> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:32:35 +0000
> 
> On Tue 24 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> There is a direct call to delete-file in comp--native-compile, but is
> >> that the call which fails?  And if so, why does it fail?  Which code
> >> created the .eln file that comp--native-compile tries to delete?
> 
> >From memory I think that involved compiling a trampoline, and
> comp-spill-lap calling one of the comp-spill-lap methods, which was
> probably
>   (cl-defmethod comp-spill-lap-function ((form list))
> 
> I cannot reproduce this any longer as I have updated various software,
> so this bug can probably be closed (and reopened later if the problem
> becomes visible again).

Before we close this, I suggest that you try reproducing again, after
removing the *.eln files from your eln-cache.  Basically, as more and
more *.eln files are produced and deposited there, the lower the
probability of seeing any problems with native compilation, since
Emacs stops compiling stuff because it already has what it needs.

(But if you already tried that and still failed, then OK, let's close
this issue.)

Thanks.