Subject: Re: bug#60996: 29.0.60; Native compile fails to remove temp file for trampoline

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:32:35 +0000

On Tue 24 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:50:27 +0200
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> and I still don't have a clear picture regarding which code calls
>> delete-file and why.  For example, the first backtrace above says that
>> comp--native-compile calls delete-file via some byte-compiled
>> function, not directly.  But what is that byte-compiled function? can
>> you figure that out?

I cannot reproduce the problem any more - trying to examine things in
gdb did not produce enlightenment, as the problem seems to be timing
sensitive, so adding breakpoints or tracing in my experiments often
stopped the problem.

>> There is a direct call to delete-file in comp--native-compile, but is
>> that the call which fails?  And if so, why does it fail?  Which code
>> created the .eln file that comp--native-compile tries to delete?

>From memory I think that involved compiling a trampoline, and
comp-spill-lap calling one of the comp-spill-lap methods, which was
probably
  (cl-defmethod comp-spill-lap-function ((form list))

I cannot reproduce this any longer as I have updated various software,
so this bug can probably be closed (and reopened later if the problem
becomes visible again).

    AndyM