Subject: Re: bug#60990: 29.0.60; New seq release 2.24

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:15:56 +0200

On 9/4/23 20:35, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> How is that? I thought that seq is not a :core package, since it
>> supports Emacs versions from before the introduction of cl-defgeneric.
>> It has different code which must be updated manually and as such doesn't
>> automatically get released.
> 
> Uhm, yes, you're right of course.
> 
> I have now merged all the changes from master/emacs-29 (the branches are
> identical), and pushed it to elpa.git.
> 
> I only saw `take' that needed an compatibility alias, and the rest of
> the changes should be fine on older versions.  Testing on Emacs 25 would
> be much appreciated, though.

Hello Stefan,

I just looked at the seq repository and noticed that the new additions
(commit 9d9f51b0e3ca59e0a488801064512f4878ac910b, seq-split, seq-keep,
etc.) seem to be missing from the file seq-24.el, such that the
functionality of the package differs between Emacs 24 and Emacs 25 and
newer.

It is a bit unfortunate that the code has to be duplicated but it may be
a bit too early to drop Emacs 24 support from seq altogether? As another
example, for Compat we try to maintain compatibility with Emacs 24.4 and
newer for the time being. For Compat it hasn't been a big problem to
maintain support for 24.4. We didn't have to use the cl-defgeneric
functionality so far.

Daniel