Subject: bug#60990: 29.0.60; New seq release 2.24

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:23:09 +0200

On 9/4/23 20:35, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> How is that? I thought that seq is not a :core package, since it
>> supports Emacs versions from before the introduction of cl-defgeneric.
>> It has different code which must be updated manually and as such doesn't
>> automatically get released.
> 
> Uhm, yes, you're right of course.
> 
> I have now merged all the changes from master/emacs-29 (the branches are
> identical), and pushed it to elpa.git.

Thanks! Btw, it seems that seq 2.24 is the last version which can be
distributed via ELPA since Emacs 29 preloads seq. If Emacs 30 comes with
a hypothetical new seq 2.30 with new functions, a package requiring seq
2.30 cannot load seq on Emacs 29, since the feature is already loaded.
We could possibly work around this problem by distributing seq functions
from than 2.30 and newer via Compat. We should then document that
packages needing a seq newer than 2.24 should rely on Compat instead. I
am not sure if this is a desired solution though since it might be a bit
confusing. I've added Philip and Stefan M. in cc. What do you think?

Daniel