Subject: bug#60968: closed (Re: bug#60968: 30.0.50; M-x shell keeps an old default-directory)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 08:50:03 +0000

Your bug report

#60968: 30.0.50; M-x shell keeps an old default-directory

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60968: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60968
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60968: 30.0.50; M-x shell keeps an old default-directory
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:49:05 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Manuel,

> Yes, you're right I'd better need to fix my usage because the "using an
> existing shell buffer" feature is valuable.  Sorry for this bug report
> then.

I'm closing this bug, therefore.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 30.0.50; M-x shell keeps an old default-directory
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 19:37:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Here is an annoyance I bump into sometimes.  Recipe:

    C-x C-f /-:somewhere-remote:
    M-x shell ;; Emacs asks me about the remote shell and that is not
              ;; what I want
    C-g
    C-x C-f somewhere-local
    M-x shell ;; Emacs still asks me about the previous remote shell

It seems to come from the fact that when in shell.el line 865 the
"*shell*" buffer is already created and its default-directory set…  Or
maybe, I'm just doing it wrong when I want a shell.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.2, cairo version
 1.17.6) of 2023-01-20 built on computer
Repository revision: 167bf3408e437704b27171c6fad5d15bbc623b3a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.2 GENERIC.MP#933 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-revert-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-0.10.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug dabbrev shortdoc pulse cl-print help-fns
radix-tree gnus-cite org-indent org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi mhtml-mode js c-ts-mode
css-mode treesit smie sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww xdg url-queue mm-url
vc-hg conf-mode view reveal autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher vc-svn bug-reference gnus-dired ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs paredit edmacro time battery exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm-config exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server
stimmung-themes modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ytdious osm mingus
libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission diary-lib
diary-loaddefs color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
w3m-load mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config bookmark ido supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ebdb-mua ebdb-com
crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar
ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt
slime-autoloads dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs notifications
dbus xml repeat easy-mmode desktop frameset stimmung-themes-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads ebdb-autoloads magit-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads paredit-autoloads dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transient-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads detached-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 692146 52573)
 (symbols 48 55407 4)
 (strings 32 173598 8434)
 (string-bytes 1 5536475)
 (vectors 16 103710)
 (vector-slots 8 2132196 233661)
 (floats 8 585 352)
 (intervals 56 17977 418)
 (buffers 984 84))

-- 
Manuel Giraud