Subject: bug#60952: closed (Re: bug#60952: 29.0.60; [PATCH] MH-E breaks with nmh 1.8)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 04:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60952: 29.0.60; [PATCH] MH-E breaks with nmh 1.8

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60952: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60952
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60952: 29.0.60; [PATCH] MH-E breaks with nmh 1.8
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:04:48 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:14:37 -0800
[...]
> > The attached patch fixes the problem and works on older nmh releases as
> > well as 1.8.  Is it okay for emacs-29? 
> 
> Yes, thanks.

Thanks, Eli.  The fix has been committed and pushed, commit b3de81a6ee3,
so I'm closing this bug.

mike

Subject: 29.0.60; [PATCH] MH-E breaks with nmh 1.8
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:14:37 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

nmh 1.8 has not been released yet, but the first release candidate is
out.  I haven't had time to test it yet, but a user has reported that
the mh-version command breaks with it.  That is, mh-version is only able
to report a few things before erroring out on a nil value where a string
was expected.

The attached patch fixes the problem and works on older nmh releases as
well as 1.8.  Is it okay for emacs-29? 

thanks,
mike

PS. The repo revision listed below includes the fix.  It is based on e8c77d9abda.

>From 77baa31a2f2dba1a5c83fc9d74c44628207616b7 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 13:50:49 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] MH-E: handle removal of mhparam libdir from nmh 1.8

* lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el (mh-variant-nmh-info): If "libdir" doesn't
work, try "libexecdir" (SF#491).
---
 lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el b/lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el
index 1640c23e002..34c809a5ecd 100644
--- a/lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el
+++ b/lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el
@@ -764,6 +764,8 @@ mh-variant-nmh-info
   ;; Sample '-version' outputs:
   ;; mhparam -- nmh-1.1-RC1 [compiled on chaak at Fri Jun 20 11:03:28 PDT 2003]
   ;; install-mh -- nmh-1.7.1 built October 26, 2019 on build-server-000
+  ;; "libdir" was deprecated in nmh-1.7 in favor of "libexecdir", and
+  ;; removed completely in nmh-1.8.
   (let ((install-mh (expand-file-name "install-mh" dir)))
     (when (mh-file-command-p install-mh)
       (erase-buffer)
@@ -774,7 +776,8 @@ mh-variant-nmh-info
               (mh-progs dir))
           `(,version
             (variant        nmh)
-            (mh-lib-progs   ,(mh-profile-component "libdir"))
+            (mh-lib-progs   ,(or (mh-profile-component "libdir")
+                                 (mh-profile-component "libexecdir")))
             (mh-lib         ,(mh-profile-component "etcdir"))
             (mh-progs       ,dir)
             (flists         ,(file-exists-p
-- 
2.30.2

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 11, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-01-16 built on alto
Repository revision: 77baa31a2f2dba1a5c83fc9d74c44628207616b7
Repository branch: emacs-29-sf491
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/new'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mh-mime mh-identity mh-tool-bar mh-acros mh-letter mh-show
goto-addr gnus-cite mh-xface mh-utils emacsbug misearch multi-isearch
crm thingatpt cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load mdk-mail gnus-mh gnus-msg
mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus gnus-dup nnmh gnus-score score-mode gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map
gv url-vars gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range wid-edit mh-e
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader warnings server
noutline outline icons cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile shell subr-x pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring
xcscope advice delsel vc vc-dispatcher timeclock cl-loaddefs cl-lib
mdk-hacks rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 192767 10746)
 (symbols 48 19218 0)
 (strings 32 59206 2143)
 (string-bytes 1 1950119)
 (vectors 16 33703)
 (vector-slots 8 377364 16745)
 (floats 8 228 47)
 (intervals 56 404 0)
 (buffers 976 14))