Subject: Re: bug#60948: 28.1; cannot find executable-find command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:58:53 +0200

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +0100
> 
> Emacs has broken badly: Opening files via tramp/ido leads to the message
> symbol's value as variable is void - executable-find:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/107pc9m/emacs_can_find_the_executablefind_command/
> 
> 
> I solved it via
> rm -r ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache ~/.emacs.d/elpa/{compat,magit}-*
> 
> But this is actually just a workaround for a backwards compatibility
> problem which leaves Emacs in a broken state after updating.

Neither the Reddit discussion nor this report provided a recipe for
reproducing the problem.  In particular, what do you mean by "Opening
files via tramp/ido"?

Also, executable-find is a function, not a variable, and it is defined
on files.el which is preloaded into Emacs.  So it is unclear to me how
Emacs 28 could show such a message.  Which is why a recipe to
reproduce the problem is necessary if we are to do anything about this
issue.

Thanks.