Subject: Re: bug#60948: 28.1; cannot find executable-find command

From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:32:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Emacs has broken badly: Opening files via tramp/ido leads to the message
>> symbol's value as variable is void - executable-find:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/107pc9m/emacs_can_find_the_executablefind_command/
>> 
>> I solved it via
>> rm -r ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache ~/.emacs.d/elpa/{compat,magit}-*
>> 
>> But this is actually just a workaround for a backwards compatibility
>> problem which leaves Emacs in a broken state after updating.
>
> Neither the Reddit discussion nor this report provided a recipe for
> reproducing the problem.  In particular, what do you mean by "Opening
> files via tramp/ido"?

I used ido-find-file (via shortcut) and when I selected a file and hit
enter, I got that message.

Switching to regular find-file cia C-x C-f inside ido-find-file let me
open the file.

> Also, executable-find is a function, not a variable, and it is defined
> on files.el which is preloaded into Emacs.  So it is unclear to me how
> Emacs 28 could show such a message.

Yes.

> Which is why a recipe to
> reproduce the problem is necessary if we are to do anything about this
> issue.

Sadly I wasn’t clever enough to take a backup of my .emacs.d before
fixing it :-(

Sorry for that.

This is an emacs setup where I had experimental native compilation
enabled early, then disabled it again, and later had lazy compilation
active.

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,
ohne es zu merken.
draketo.de