Subject: [bug#60934] [CORE-UPDATES PATCH] gnu: mesa: Use smaller llvm backend.

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 03:14:46 +0000

Hi Efraim,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 04:49 PM, Efraim Flashner wrote:

> * gnu/packages/gl.scm (mesa)[inputs]: Replace llvm with llvm-for-mesa.
> * gnu/packages/llvm.scm (llvm-for-mesa): New variable.
> ---
>
> I wasn't able to tweak this to be able to build a cross compiled mesa. I
> was able to build and run glxgears on core-updates with this patch
> applied.
>

Nice!

Not sure if you already saw my message on guix-devel
https://lists.gnu.org/r/guix-devel/2023-01/msg00218.html but I'll just
repeat the summary: looks like latest mesa wants latest llvm (llvm-15 to
be exact) for current hardware support. I think this is the summary:
https://www.phoronix.com/news/LLVM-15-Branched

Have you tried with other versions of llvm?

I haven't checked what version of mesa is in core-updates or any pending
patches, but I can send an update to the latest version if needed.

I also haven't reviewed/tested this patch, but I do use current mesa via
another channel where I could try it out with this modification for
testing and get back to you.

Thanks for working on this!
John