Subject: Re: bug#60923: 29.0.60; package-vc-install: Allow specifying directories

From: Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 10:33:35 +0530

On 2023-02-14 21:29, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> 
> But perhaps I am misunderstanding you.  What would be the point of
> removing the files from the installation directory?

My need was to avoid letting the code in test files never available
in Emacs (as defuns and such are not namespace separated, functions
written in tests may confuse with other functions)

But given that the entire source including the vc history is kept
as such, I don't think removing the file is for this purpose is
worth.

> 
>>> package.el already supports ignoring the contents of a .elpaignore
>>> file,
>>> but all that does is remove a few files from the byte-compilation
>>> process.
>> 
>> I tried installing pareedit, and it doesn't seem to work. I tried:
>> emacs --batch --eval='(package-vc-install
>> "https://github.com/emacsmirror/paredit.git")'
> 
> (Is there a reason you specified a URL instead of the package?)

I just chose the URL of a popular project that has a .elpaignore file.

> 
>>                                                      Also, since
>> it is installed, I'm able to access functions like
>> `paredit-test-failed'.
> 
> Just like that or after loading the file?

After loading the file.  `paredit-test-failed` is no big problem.
But some projects may define functions like `load-test-file` etc,
which may not be obvious where the function is defined unless the
documentation or its code is inspected.

But anyway, as suggested, I don't think it's worth to have a way to
remove specified files as the entire vc history is cloned and kept
locally.  So please close the issue.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was away last month.

cheers,
Mohammed Sadiq