Subject: bug#60923: 29.0.60; package-vc-install: Allow specifying directories

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:59:49 +0000

Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2023-02-14 01:29, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
>> What does "ignore" mean in this context?
>
> Ignore as in, the file is never kept in the installation directory.

I am afraid that would be contrary to the point of package-vc.  The
intention is to provide the facilities to manage a package (activate,
load, update, etc.) directory from source.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding you.  What would be the point of
removing the files from the installation directory?

>> package.el already supports ignoring the contents of a .elpaignore
>> file,
>> but all that does is remove a few files from the byte-compilation
>> process.
>
> I tried installing pareedit, and it doesn't seem to work. I tried:
> emacs --batch --eval='(package-vc-install
> "https://github.com/emacsmirror/paredit.git")'

(Is there a reason you specified a URL instead of the package?)

> The project contains .elpaignore, which specifies the file test.el,
> but the file test.el is still compiled to test.elc.  

It seems like this is a bug in `byte-recompile-directory' or rather in
the way it is invoked from package-compile.  I will have to look into
this at some point, if it is even regarded as a bug -- there was a
discussion that it is OK to attempt compiling every file in a project,
even if the actual Lisp files are only located in a subdirectory.  Most
of the time the issues in test files are just due to negligence, and
could also be fixed upstream.

>                                                      Also, since
> it is installed, I'm able to access functions like
> `paredit-test-failed'.

Just like that or after loading the file?

> Or am I missing something obvious?

Nothing obvious enough for me to see.

-- 
Philip Kaludercic