Subject: Re: bug#6088: Please record all warnings and errors in the *messages* buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:32:36 +0200

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could we please coordinate warnings, errors and messages? This could
> make it more easy to find errors.
>
> I suggest as a simple first step to record all errors and warnings in
> the message buffer.

I think it would be confusing for the *Warnings* stuff to show up in
*Messages*, too.

> For errors this means outputting a message even when debug-on-error is
> non-nil. I am not sure how to do that.

If debug-on-error is nil, it looks like the error messages already end
up in the *Messages* buffer.  When we have debug-on-error non-nil, I
don't quite a use case for doing that, and it would be a bit
inconsistent: We haven't actually shown the error message, so putting it
in the *Messages* buffer doesn't seem quite right.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no