Subject: Re: bug#60872: 29.0.60; emacsql broken after Jan 12 change

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:42:06 +0100

>>>>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:58:10 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
    >> Is it enough of an error for us to silently replace `utf-8-auto' with
    >> `utf-8' when itʼs specified for `coding-system-for-write'?

    Eli> That's what the bug I fixed effectively did.  But no, I don't think
    Eli> this is something we can do, let alone silently.  It could be that
    Eli> some extremely rare/obscure, but nevertheless legitimate use case does
    Eli> really want to produce BOM on encoding.

Right. Iʼd suggest a doc change, but thereʼs no documentation for
`utf-8-auto' anyway, and perhaps we should avoid drawing attention to
it :-)

    >> 
    >> Either that or use `make-process' directly and pass `:coding'

    Eli> No, that will suffer from the same problem:

Yep

Robert
--