Subject: 29.0.60; set save-silently to t can not avoid messages when saving files

From: From: Eason Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 21:46:24 +0800

Hi Emacs dev team,

I tried to set save-silently to t, but the saving file message will
still show on echo area, but it disappear immediately.

Steps to reproduce:

1. emacs -Q to launch Emacs
2. eval (setq save-silently t)
3. C-x, C-f open any file and edit the file
4. C-x, C-s save the file
   Now you will see the message showing in the echo area in a short time

--
Eason Huang

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin22.2.0, NS
 appkit-2299.30 Version 13.1 (Build 22C65)) of 2023-01-15 built on
 macbook
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.1

Configured using:
 'configure --without-native-compilation --without-dbus
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-rpath
 /opt/local/lib/gcc12
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile help-fns radix-tree help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 47133 9185)
 (symbols 48 5850 0)
 (strings 32 16159 1759)
 (string-bytes 1 469273)
 (vectors 16 11316)
 (vector-slots 8 174725 16622)
 (floats 8 26 35)
 (intervals 56 274 0)
 (buffers 984 13))