Subject: Re: bug#61413: [PATCH] Make warnings show a "warning" emoji instead of a stop-sign

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:56:49 +0300

Jim Porter wrote:
> On 1/17/2023 2:19 PM, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
> > Jim Porter <jporterbugs <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >> Perhaps a bit better would be 🚫, whose official name is apparently "No Entry
> >> Sign", even though the slashed circle visual usually just means "No ____",
> >> e.g. "No Smoking". Hence, some sources call it the Prohibited emoji.
> >
> > (My ¢2: wouldn't a cross mark (❌) also work to convey the idea of
> > "suppressing" something?)
>
> That would work too. I still like turning this into a toggle button
> where the icon shows the current state (i.e. is it an active warning -
> ⚠️ - or has it been suppressed - ⚬). But changing to 🚫 or ❌ would be
> single-character patches, which is nice too.

As a user, seeing any of ❌ or 🚫 in compilation buffer I think immediately of a
problem because these emojis are shown in red color. You might say that color
depends on a font, however they both are even documented on emojipedia to be
"red", so rest assured, if there's a colorful emoji support on a user system,
most likely the color will be red.

The fact it's actually a button that is supposed to do something is an
interesting one, but since a button isn't actually used for displaying the
button, it's kind of an easter egg. We know it's a button, but no one else
will. (as a side note, I am also not sure why to make a button on every warning)

So please, let's either replace it with ⚠ as originally suggested, or make it an
actual button with an actual text "suppress warnings". As it stands now, just
replacing it with ❌ or 🚫 will not reduce any confusion.