Subject: Re: bug#60854: Adjust icons shown with warnings

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 11:30:38 +0100

>>>>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 07:51:19 +0100, Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> said:

    Kévin> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> On 1/17/2023 2:19 PM, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
    >>> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>>> Perhaps a bit better would be 🚫, whose official name is apparently "No Entry
    >>>> Sign", even though the slashed circle visual usually just means "No ____",
    >>>> e.g. "No Smoking". Hence, some sources call it the Prohibited emoji.
    >>> (My ¢2: wouldn't a cross mark (❌) also work to convey the idea of
    >>> "suppressing" something?)
    >> 
    >> That would work too. I still like turning this into a toggle button where the
    >> icon shows the current state (i.e. is it an active warning - ⚠️ - or has it been
    >> suppressed - ⚬). But changing to 🚫 or ❌ would be single-character patches,
    >> which is nice too.

    Kévin> Sure, the toggle sounds like a nice idea regardless, since IIUC right
    Kévin> now a user has to go through Customize to take warnings off either
    Kévin> warning-suppress-*types.

    Kévin> (Sorry for the idle musing, this is the first time I look at what knobs
    Kévin>  warnings.el lets the user tweak.

    Kévin>  As things stand, if a user doesn't want to completely ignore a warning,
    Kévin>  their only choices seem to be "pop *Warnings*" or "meh, tuck it in
    Kévin>  *Warnings* but don't pop; hopefully I'll remember to check that buffer
    Kévin>  someday", is that correct?

Yes

    Kévin>  Might be nice to have further options for "suppression", e.g.…

    Kévin>  "don't pop the *Warnings* buffer, but display in echo area", or
    Kévin>                                "…  but add a modeline indicator"

    Kévin>  … but that's its own feature request)

Sure. Just donʼt turn that on by default :-)

    >>> The new icons.el that comes with Emacs 29 would be a prime candidate for
    >>> implementing this, right?  It has the advantage of giving the user some
    >>> degree of control via icon-preference.
    >> 
    >> Yup, the icon we have today is implemented via icons.el:
    >> 
    >>   (define-icon warnings-suppress button
    >> '((emoji "⛔")
    >> (symbol " ■ ")
    >> (text " stop "))
    >> "Suppress warnings."
    >> :version "29.1"
    >> :help-echo "Click to suppress this warning type")

    Kévin> (Ah, great, so we're only missing an 'image entry for that one.  Just a
    Kévin> trivial matter of choosing what the image should look like then 😁)

Whilst youʼre changing stuff, the text should not be "stop", it should
be "suppress" or "ignore" or something.

Robert
--