Subject: Re: bug#60854: Adjust icons shown with warnings

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 07:51:19 +0100

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 1/17/2023 2:19 PM, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
>> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Perhaps a bit better would be 🚫, whose official name is apparently "No Entry
>>> Sign", even though the slashed circle visual usually just means "No ____",
>>> e.g. "No Smoking". Hence, some sources call it the Prohibited emoji.
>> (My ¢2: wouldn't a cross mark (❌) also work to convey the idea of
>> "suppressing" something?)
>
> That would work too. I still like turning this into a toggle button where the
> icon shows the current state (i.e. is it an active warning - ⚠️ - or has it been
> suppressed - ⚬). But changing to 🚫 or ❌ would be single-character patches,
> which is nice too.

Sure, the toggle sounds like a nice idea regardless, since IIUC right
now a user has to go through Customize to take warnings off either
warning-suppress-*types.

(Sorry for the idle musing, this is the first time I look at what knobs
 warnings.el lets the user tweak.

 As things stand, if a user doesn't want to completely ignore a warning,
 their only choices seem to be "pop *Warnings*" or "meh, tuck it in
 *Warnings* but don't pop; hopefully I'll remember to check that buffer
 someday", is that correct?

 Might be nice to have further options for "suppression", e.g.…

 "don't pop the *Warnings* buffer, but display in echo area", or
                               "…  but add a modeline indicator"

 … but that's its own feature request)

>> The new icons.el that comes with Emacs 29 would be a prime candidate for
>> implementing this, right?  It has the advantage of giving the user some
>> degree of control via icon-preference.
>
> Yup, the icon we have today is implemented via icons.el:
>
>   (define-icon warnings-suppress button
>     '((emoji "⛔")
>       (symbol " ■ ")
>       (text " stop "))
>     "Suppress warnings."
>     :version "29.1"
>     :help-echo "Click to suppress this warning type")

(Ah, great, so we're only missing an 'image entry for that one.  Just a
trivial matter of choosing what the image should look like then 😁)

Thanks for the answers 🙏