Subject: Re: bug#60850:

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 21:44:38 -0800

On 1/16/2023 8:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> 
>    > > On 1/15/2023 10:29 PM, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
>    > > > BTW: Isn't ⛔ a bit to "visually drastic" for a _warning_ ? Shouldn't it
>    > > be
>    > > > reserved for things like errors?
>    > >
>    > > Maybe worth filing a separate bug about this, but how about ⚠️ instead?
>    > > Its official name is "Warning Sign", which seems appropriate.
> 
> In what context are these characters used?  I never see them in using
> Emacs -- which is a good thing, since the Linux console can't display
> them: they appear onit as one or three blue diamonds.

They appear in the *Warnings* buffer if some code calls 
'display-warning'. You can see what it looks like on your system by 
evaluating:

   (display-warning 'some-type "a warning message")

The code to generate these icons is (well, should be) smart enough to 
choose a fallback string instead of ⛔ if your Emacs session can't 
display that character.