Subject: Re: bug#60847: [PATCH] Enable cross-compilation for the pyproject-build-system.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:04:35 +0100

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> +++ b/guix/packages.scm
> @@ -1864,28 +1864,30 @@ (define* (bag->derivation bag #:optional context)

[…]

> +  (let ((builder-name (procedure-name (bag-build bag))))
> +    (if (or (bag-target bag)
> +            (eq? 'pyproject-build builder-name))
> +        (bag->cross-derivation bag)

This one part is a showstopper to me, for two reasons:

  1. We cannot rely on ‘procedure-name’ (it’s a debugging aid and it’s
     not guaranteed to return something useful).

  2. Special-casing build systems here is not okay: the bag and build
     system abstractions exist to maintain separation of concerns.

I understand there’s an actual bug to fix and the desire to fix a more
common issue, but I think this one approach is not the way forward.

I hope that makes sense!

Ludo’.