Subject: bug#60831: closed (Re: bug#60831: Are our graphs okay?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 09:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60831: Are our graphs okay?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60831: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60831
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60831: Are our graphs okay?
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:18:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Dienstag, dem 17.01.2023 um 10:55 -0500 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The ‘patch-compilation-driver’ phase pulls in libgccjit even though
> > it has been deliberately removed from emacs-minimal.
> > 
> > * gnu/packages/emacs.scm (emacs)[#:phases]: Delete ‘patch-
> > compilation-driver’.
> > ---
> > Thanks Josselin for pointing this out.
> 
> I'd add the following git tag "Reported-by: Josselin Poiret <email>"
> instead, but otherwise LGTM.
I pushed it without the tag because I initially reported the pulling
in; although Josselin did help in finding how it was pulled in.

Anyway, this particular bug should be fixed now.  As for larger "Are
our graphs okay?" style bugs, I think we can definitely answer those
with "No.", given that cargo hasn't been replaced with antioxidant yet.
Thus, I'm closing this.

Cheers

Subject: Are our graphs okay?
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:39:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

Continuing the discussion Ludo’ started over at guix-devel regarding
package size, note that we have

$ guix size emacs-minimal 
Store-Objekt                                                     Gesamt   Selbst
/gnu/store/lphzb1z0r4kbb453rsvnw7msrxxzp5r7-libgccjit-10.3.0       244.8   128.5  27.2%
/gnu/store/wrzjr2g38f23fqg09rrdcn10va5gc5xl-emacs-minimal-28.2     472.4   110.7  23.4%
/gnu/store/zyqimpkmpffc24nwwqp46cicj8ss85y5-binutils-2.37          126.0    54.4  11.5%
/gnu/store/ayc9r7162rphy4zjw8ch01pmyh214h82-glibc-2.33              76.6    36.6   7.8%
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33              38.3    36.6   7.7%
/gnu/store/6d0pl5khj08j3c2619jnypc8bznspgx8-gcc-10.3.0-lib          71.7    33.4   7.1%
/gnu/store/094bbaq6glba86h1d4cj16xhdi6fk2jl-gcc-10.3.0-lib          71.7    33.4   7.1%
/gnu/store/8fpk2cja3f07xls48jfnpgrzrljpqivr-coreutils-8.32          91.6    16.4   3.5%
/gnu/store/9rrnm5hdjw7cy96a2a9rfgh6y08wsbmf-ncurses-6.2.20210619    77.6     5.9   1.3%
/gnu/store/pmq05n0q25v4qjyibxfrp53v4391k7vh-mpfr-4.1.0              78.4     4.0   0.9%
/gnu/store/ajw8nnrnd6hr183skwqdgc8c7mazg97h-isl-0.23                77.3     2.9   0.6%
/gnu/store/fwbiihd2sbhai63y1pvvdh0f2bakfzrf-gmp-6.2.1               74.4     2.7   0.6%
/gnu/store/4f304c7dp68hkcp1zi1i07zm8nfvvyp7-bash-static-5.1.8        1.7     1.7   0.4%
/gnu/store/720rj90bch716isd8z7lcwrnvz28ap4y-bash-static-5.1.8        1.7     1.7   0.4%
/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8      39.3     1.0   0.2%
/gnu/store/xjwp2hsd9256icjjybfrmznppjicywf6-grep-3.6                73.5     0.8   0.2%
/gnu/store/ba02g5xkqiss6s5z8mbj9cvkal6l7b9g-mpc-1.2.1               78.8     0.4   0.1%
/gnu/store/a38k2v29l6l0iz6pmlk4dmzwdbvl10lq-acl-2.3.1               72.3     0.3   0.1%
/gnu/store/a7ggx0af69gv4k5mr1k617p4vy9kgx2v-libcap-2.62             72.0     0.3   0.1%
/gnu/store/jkjs0inmzhj4vsvclbf08nmh0shm7lrf-attr-2.5.1              71.9     0.2   0.1%
/gnu/store/8qv5kb2fgm4c3bf70zcg9l6hkf3qzpw9-zlib-1.2.11             71.9     0.2   0.0%
/gnu/store/0c1yfbxyv877mlgychfgvmk5ha2jqh52-gzip-1.10               73.7     0.2   0.0%
Gesamt: 472.4 MiB

but 

$ guix graph --path emacs-minimal libgccjit 
guix graph: Fehler: Kein Pfad von „[email-masked]“ nach
„[email-masked]“

and 

$ guix graph --path /gnu/store/wrzjr2g38f23fqg09rrdcn10va5gc5xl-emacs-
minimal-28.2 /gnu/store/lphzb1z0r4kbb453rsvnw7msrxxzp5r7-libgccjit-
10.3.0 --type=referrers
guix graph: Fehler: Kein Pfad von
„/gnu/store/wrzjr2g38f23fqg09rrdcn10va5gc5xl-emacs-minimal-28.2“ nach
„/gnu/store/lphzb1z0r4kbb453rsvnw7msrxxzp5r7-libgccjit-10.3.0“

This is rather curious.  How does libgccjit land in emacs-minimal's
closure?