Subject: 30.0.50; The *Compilation* buffer does not recognize Lua errors

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:33:47 +0100

REPRODUCTION STEPS:

1. Write the following in some buffer:

/usr/bin/lua: database.lua:31: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	database.lua:31: in field 'statement'
	database.lua:42: in field 'table'
	database.lua:55: in field 'row'
	database.lua:63: in field 'value'
	database.lua:68: in main chunk
	[C]: in ?

2. Enable the `compilation-mode'.

EXPECTED:

The Compilation mode recognizes the following as error loci:
  
- database.lua:31: (twice)
- database.lua:42:
- database.lua:55:
- database.lua:63:
- database.lua:68:

ACTUAL:

The Compilation mode finds no error loci.

NOTES:

The source files can any extension, such as `fnl' for Fennel.

Rudy

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 19, aarch64-apple-darwin22.1.0, NS appkit-2299.00
 Version 13.0.1 (Build 22A400)) of 2023-01-11 built on Rudolfs-MacBook-Air.local
Repository revision: c51bfef34a6bdefad048444c279ea5b63a6aada1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.0.1

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: notmuch-hello

Minor modes in effect:
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  sly-symbol-completion-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20230112.503/theme-loaddefs hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230107.1528/transient hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort tempo mail-extr emacsbug notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump
notmuch-hello notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua
notmuch-message notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address
notmuch-company notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs notmuch-tag crm notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat
message yank-media rfc822 mml mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-view mml-smime
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util smime gnutls puny dig mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp
em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs
esh-var em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util cl-print misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux hl-line dired-x ls-lisp dired dired-loaddefs make-mode
fennel-mode fennel-eldoc inf-lisp files-x vc-svn vc-git lua-mode advice
char-fold paredit edmacro kmacro hi-lock hl-todo compat diff-hl log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc cus-start vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode orderless pdf-loader
finder-inf savehist org-clock ob-makefile ob-latex ob-scheme geiser-impl
help-fns radix-tree geiser-custom geiser-base geiser ob-dot ob-R ob-C cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
ob-shell shell ob-java ob-sqlite ob-sql ob-org ob-lisp modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes sly easy-mmode sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common
apropos etags fileloop generator xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec whitespace
display-fill-column-indicator display-line-numbers flyspell ispell fortune
flymake-proc flymake project compile text-property-search pixel-scroll cua-base
comp derived comp-cstr pcase warnings cl-extra help-mode delsel goto-addr
thingatpt cap-words superword subword saveplace cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit
bug-reference autorevert filenotify org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline
outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils mmm-mode-autoloads org-drill-autoloads
bbdb-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads paredit-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
vterm-autoloads swift-mode-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site kotlin-mode-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
flymake-grammarly-autoloads grammarly-autoloads emms-autoloads
bnf-mode-autoloads fennel-mode-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
request-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
transient-autoloads geiser-autoloads telega-autoloads
rainbow-identifiers-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads
citar-autoloads citeproc-autoloads queue-autoloads tablist-autoloads
cape-autoloads hide-mode-line-autoloads orderless-autoloads
elfeed-tube-mpv-autoloads mpv-autoloads string-inflection-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads parsebib-autoloads mentor-autoloads
url-scgi-autoloads async-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads ebnf-mode-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads sly-autoloads
persist-autoloads ess-autoloads websocket-autoloads sqlup-mode-autoloads
elfeed-tube-autoloads aio-autoloads elfeed-autoloads password-store-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads s-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian
philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded
button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 705152 30738)
 (symbols 48 37553 37)
 (strings 32 201806 6173)
 (string-bytes 1 5391755)
 (vectors 16 61253)
 (vector-slots 8 827501 35559)
 (floats 8 220 464)
 (intervals 56 7615 148)
 (buffers 984 24))

-- 
"Be especially critical of any statement following the word
'obviously.'"
-- Anna Pell Wheeler, 1883-1966

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia