Subject: bug#60823: closed (Re: bug#60823: 28.2; string-rectangle cancel can leave garbage from preview)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 07:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#60823: 28.2; string-rectangle cancel can leave garbage from preview

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
60823: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60823
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#60823: 28.2; string-rectangle cancel can leave garbage from preview
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Waters <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:11:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Chris Waters <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:41:07 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 11:03 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > I can reproduce this in Emacs 28, but not in Emacs 29 or 30.  So I
> > guess we already fixed this bug in some way.  Can you try the
> > development code in the Emacs Git repository and see if the problem is
> > indeed solved in your configuration as well?
> 
> It does indeed seem to be fixed in a Git head build on this end as well, thanks.

Thanks for testing, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 28.2; string-rectangle cancel can leave garbage from preview
From: Chris Waters <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:00:46 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce, starting with 'emacs -Q':

1. Go to the scratch buffer OR create a new
buffer with 'C-x b foo RET'. (Tested both ways.)
2. Press 'C-SPACE' or 'C-x SPACE' to set the mark. (Tested both ways.)
3. Press RET.
4. Press 'C-x r t' (string-rectangle), then type 'foo', but do NOT press
RET! A preview will appear in the original buffer, showing two instances
of the string "foo", as expected.
5. Press 'C-x o' or click in the main window (tested both ways). This is
the step which triggers the bug!
6. Press 'ESC ESC ESC' to cancel.

Expected results: the preview instances of the string "foo" in the
original buffer should disappear, as they do if you skip step 5.

Actual results: the preview instances of the string "foo" do NOT
disappear, and cannot be removed by any obvious means. Attempting to
delete them simply deletes the newlines between them. Nor can you return
to the minibuffer via 'C-x o'; the string-rectangle command has truly
been cancelled.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.35,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-12-19, modified by Debian built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101005
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-OltuXQ/emacs-28.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-extra shortdoc
text-property-search seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
help-fns radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rect iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96299 9630)
 (symbols 48 8522 0)
 (strings 32 24995 1913)
 (string-bytes 1 903592)
 (vectors 16 15635)
 (vector-slots 8 324678 17793)
 (floats 8 81 43)
 (intervals 56 297 0)
 (buffers 992 12))