Subject: 28.2; `ls-lisp.el' regression introduced in Emacs 26

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 22:28:36 +0000

In all Emacs releases prior to Emacs 26, if you use command `dired' with
an input directory name that has wildcards and ends with a slash,
e.g. c:/foo/bar/*b*/, the command simply ignores the trailing slash and
correctly gives you a listing of all files and dirs in c:/foo/bar/ whose
names contain a b character.

Starting with Emacs 26, such input raises an error.  IMO it should not.

Other than that, the error message is anyway inappropriate: "No files
matching regexp".  There's absolutely no regep involved.  *b* is a glob
pattern, not a regexp - and so is *b*/, for that matter.

In general, the character / in a glob pattern cannot be matched by a
wildcard.  E.g., Wikipedia says "Normally, the path separator character
(/ on Linux/Unix, MacOS, etc. or \ on Windows) will never be matched."
and Linux man page glob(7) says "A '/' in a pathname cannot be matched
by a '?' or '*' wildcard, or by a range like "[.-0]"."

I think the change in behavior (raising an error) is wrong.  Emacs prior
to Emacs 26 was correct in ignoring a trailing slash in this context.
Please revert the code that introduced this regression.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-09-13 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.2364)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)