Subject: bug#60796: 27.1; Opening file ending in .sh inside a directory ending in .deb causes hang/100% thread usage

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 20:05:44 +0100

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 19:25:00 +0100 Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
>>>>> Strange. As said, I don't see it in my Emacs 27 build of the git tree.
>>>>>
>>>>> Given, that you (and I) haven't seen the problem in newer Emacs/Tramp
>>>>> versions, I don't know what to test else. Perhaps we shall assume that
>>>>> it is fixed meanwhile (although I hate it not to know the reason)?
>>>>
>>>> It's good that it's apparently not an issue for current Emacs, yet it
>>>> does seem odd that in Emacs 27 some see the problem and others don't,
>>>> and even if it has been fixed (or just disappeared), it would be
>>>> interesting to track down the problem.  If anyone has any other ideas
>>>> how to go about that, I'm willing to try them.  (But please not
>>>> bisecting between Emacs 27 and 28, I don't have time for that.)
>>>
>>> One workaround we could offer is using the current Tramp from ELPA
>>> (2.6.0) with Emacs 27. Do you want to test this combination?
>>
>> I installed Tramp from ELPA, then invoked Emacs 27 as before but instead
>> of loading tramp-archive.elc from the Emacs 27 build I loaded the one
>> from ELPA.  But Emacs 27 still immediately locked up.  So do I have to
>> do something else?
>
> I believe I got it.
>
> There is bug#48476, which is exactly the same as described here in this
> report. That time I've prepared a patch (for the emacs-27 branch), which
> is installed locally on my system. But it wasn't pushed to the Emacs
> repo on savannah, likely because no further Emacs 27 release was planned
> at this time:
[...]
> That's why you see it in your Emacs 27 instance, and I don't. bug#48476
> has been closed for Emacs 28.1.

Ah, good sleuthing!

> So there's nothing left to do for us. I'll merge bug#60796 with
> bug#48476, and the bad News is that one must use Emacs 28 for this
> special use case.

Yeah, or convince the distributor to patch their version of Emacs 27, or
update to Emacs 28 :-)

Steve Berman