Subject: Re: bug#60796: 27.1; Opening file ending in .sh inside a directory ending in .deb causes hang/100% thread usage

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 19:25:00 +0100

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stephen,

>>>> Strange. As said, I don't see it in my Emacs 27 build of the git tree.
>>>>
>>>> Given, that you (and I) haven't seen the problem in newer Emacs/Tramp
>>>> versions, I don't know what to test else. Perhaps we shall assume that
>>>> it is fixed meanwhile (although I hate it not to know the reason)?
>>>
>>> It's good that it's apparently not an issue for current Emacs, yet it
>>> does seem odd that in Emacs 27 some see the problem and others don't,
>>> and even if it has been fixed (or just disappeared), it would be
>>> interesting to track down the problem.  If anyone has any other ideas
>>> how to go about that, I'm willing to try them.  (But please not
>>> bisecting between Emacs 27 and 28, I don't have time for that.)
>>
>> One workaround we could offer is using the current Tramp from ELPA
>> (2.6.0) with Emacs 27. Do you want to test this combination?
>
> I installed Tramp from ELPA, then invoked Emacs 27 as before but instead
> of loading tramp-archive.elc from the Emacs 27 build I loaded the one
> from ELPA.  But Emacs 27 still immediately locked up.  So do I have to
> do something else?

I believe I got it.

There is bug#48476, which is exactly the same as described here in this
report. That time I've prepared a patch (for the emacs-27 branch), which
is installed locally on my system. But it wasn't pushed to the Emacs
repo on savannah, likely because no further Emacs 27 release was planned
at this time:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
albinus@gandalf emacs-27]$ git status
On branch emacs-27
Your branch and 'origin/emacs-27' have diverged,
and have 1 and 37 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
	modified:   doc/emacs/misc.texi
	modified:   lisp/simple.el

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
	src/fingerprint.c

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

That's why you see it in your Emacs 27 instance, and I don't. bug#48476
has been closed for Emacs 28.1.

So there's nothing left to do for us. I'll merge bug#60796 with
bug#48476, and the bad News is that one must use Emacs 28 for this
special use case.

> Steve Berman

Best regards, Michael.