Subject: bug#60796: 27.1; Opening file ending in .sh inside a directory ending in .deb causes hang/100% thread usage

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:20:27 +0100

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:56:05 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:43:17 -0800
>> From: Casey Connor <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> Oops, sorry, I just noticed the Cc on these emails that I should have
>> been using. Repeating what I said in (accidental) privacy:
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu Server 22.10 in a VM, booted, installed emacs-nox
>> package from repo, did mkdir asdf.deb, cd asdf.deb, emacs -Q, and the
>> problem happens there, in case that's useful. (v27.1)
>>
>> I realized that it doesn't matter what you are editing (if anything), it
>> just needs to be opened inside a directory ending in .deb.
>
> Maybe there are local Debian changes?  I suggest to report this to the
> distro first.

I can reproduce the problem in my Emacs 27 branch from the Savannah repo
built on non-Debian GNU/Linux; I cannot reproduce it with Emacs 26 or 28
and later.  (Emacs 26 does not recognize tramp-archive-enabled, in 27
and later it does and the default value it t.)

Steve Berman