Subject: Re: [bug#60793] [PATCH] gnu: Add julia-cfitsio-jll.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 18:08:30 +0100

Hi,

On ven., 13 janv. 2023 at 22:16, Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> wrote:
> * gnu/packages/julia-jll.scm (julia-cfitsio-jll): New variable.

Thank for this patch.

Well, out of curiosity, why is this package required?  I mean, usually
JLL packages are binding to access from Julia to some libraries.
Therefore, do you plan to use this package for another regular Julia
package?

> +  #:use-module (guix gexp)

[...]

> +      #~(modify-phases %standard-phases
> +          (add-after 'link-depot 'override-binary-path
> +            (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)

[...]

> +                     (assoc-ref inputs "cfitsio") "\")\n"))))

I do not think (guix gexp) is required here.  For instance, other
packages just use, for instance:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    (arguments
     '(#:tests? #f ; no runtests
       #:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
         (add-after 'link-depot 'override-binary-path
           (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
             (map
               (lambda (wrapper)
                 (substitute* wrapper
                   (("artifact\"FFMPEG\"")
                    (string-append "\"" (assoc-ref inputs "ffmpeg") "\""))))
               ;; There's a Julia file for each platform, override them all
               (find-files "src/wrappers/" "\\.jl$")))))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Cheers,
simon