Subject: [bug#60793] [PATCH] gnu: Add julia-cfitsio-jll.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:03:53 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 20:36, Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes it's a long journey to bring Julia's Astronomical projects to
> Guix.

Cool!  Thank you for this effort.

> I've got a question on how to group Julia packages related just to
> Astronomy. gnu/packages/astronomy.scm contains python bindings to cfitsio,
> wcs and erfa would I follow the same pass and add Julia packages next to
> them?

Well, I think all Julia packages should go to gnu/packages/julia-xyz.scm
with the prefix ’julia-’ for the symbol and the package name.

If, or when, the Julia packages related to astronomy will be too many,
then it will be possible to just move them to
gnu/packages/julia-astronomy.scm.

Last, when writing new Julia packages, please consider some implicit
conventions in these Julia-related modules:

 + sort alphabetically, package name and inputs,

 + if one test does not pass, please disallow it using something like:
   ’#~(modify-phases %standard-phases (add-after 'link-depot
   'skip-failing-test’ (gexp and after link-depot),

 + try set the packages used by the tests under native-inputs.

Cheers,
simon