Subject: Re: bug#60788: [PATCH] services: Add vnstat-service-type.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 16:04:24 -0400

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Bruno Victal <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/services/monitoring.scm (vnstat-service-type): New variable.
>> * doc/guix.texi (Monitoring Services): Document it.
>> ---
>>
>> Changes since v8:
>> * Forgot to amend commit in v8, v9 corrects this.
>
> Sorry to chime in after 9 versions (!).
>
> I think a system test would be nice, we generally require it upfront,
> but since Maxim wrote it can come later, let’s not let it block this
> patch any longer.

I didn't mean to lower our standards; I wasn't sure if that policy of
ours was strict, since a few system services do not have corresponding
tests, IIRC.  I wary a bit that demanding a system test for each added
service may cause scalability problems in the long run, as each demand a
disk-heavy image to be generated and the test to run in a VM, which
makes it expensive/slow.  On the other hand, it's nice to know about any
regressions when they happen rather than on a reboot...

If we have such a policy, perhaps we should explicit it in
our documented contribution guidelines?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim